Women make more than 85% of purchase decisions . . . which translates into a staggering $18 trillion in earnings worldwide for businesses. So, your brand needs women. They’re avid users of social media. But are you sharing exceptional content that really engages women? Here are some tips to help you develop content that will motivate her to want a relationship with your brand.
What Grabs her Attention?
- Happy Lives — A women’s Highest Personal Value is “establishing and nurturing relationships.” She wants to hear about happy lives!
- Pop Culture — Engage women with a nod to pop culture. References to TV shows, movies and music trigger engagement, especially on social media
- Discovery — Women enjoy discovering things . . . about themselves, experiences, places and ideas. Tap into this desire for discovery by sharing tips that will lead her to discovery
Brainstorming Ideas to Engage Women — If your brand is searching for ways to generate content ideas that will engage women, research indicates that the ideas will generally fall into three different groups.
- The 1st round of brainstorming (usually your 1st 10 ideas)– This group will consist of the most obvious ideas. They’ll be “typical” and won’t usually represent anything new or interesting for women
- The 2nd round of brainstorming (usually the next 10 ideas) — During the second round, your ideas will start to gain some momentum. You’ll begin to think more creatively and start to generate some actual “new ideas”
- The 3rd round of brainstorming (usually the next 10 ideas) — The final round will represent your best chance at coming up with a unique and innovative idea. During the first 2 rounds, you were able to exhaust the obvious ideas, forcing the new and unique to float to the top
OK . . . now your brainstorming is done. What next? Ever notice that some brands’ content activates a woman’s emotions? That’s because they use power words which engage women.
What are power words? — A power word . . .
- Strikes a balance between pretentious sounding words and standard language
- Women migrate away from people and conversations that are insincere. They want authenticity and transparency
- Communicates with clarity and precision
- When women understand what you’re sharing, it helps them to develop a relationship with your brand
- Enhances engagement effectiveness by invoking emotion
- Women are driven by emotion. She has 36 emotional outlets in her brain with a lot of interconnectivity. A man has only 4 emotional outlets with very little interconnectivity
- Studies indicate that conversations and stories which elicit “high stimulation emotions” (anxiety, amusement) are more likely to be shared and go viral than those that don’t elicit any emotion or elicit “low stimulation emotions.” Power words are key to evoking these “high stimulation emotions.” Examples include words like “instantly,” “mistakes” and “hilarious”
- Triggers curiosity
- Research indicates that “curiosity” is one of the most powerful triggers to motivate women to share. Power words that trigger curiosity include words such as “reveals,” “proves“ and “ridiculous.”
To Engage Women through your Brand’s Content — Ask yourself these questions . . .
- When she sees your content, does she see/hear conversations about happy lives, pop culture and discovery?
- If not, your brand isn’t grabbing her attention . . . she’ll tune you out
- When developing content, are you taking the time to brainstorm past the 1st two rounds?
- If not, you may be sharing what other brands are sharing . . . presenting your brand as a “me too”
- Are you using power words in your brand’s content?
- If not, you’re missing the opportunity to emotionally attract and engage women